Wednesday, October 24, 2012

FRIGHT NIGHT....AT THE MOVIES!!!



It is almost here, the night the veil is lifted enough for the living to converse with the dead. Yes, All Hallows Eve is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with a spooky movie or two, three, or more. I start out with my all time favourite The Witches of Eastwick. Perfectly cast as the Horny Little Devil is Jack Nicholson. One of my favourite roles for him. And Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michele Phieffer are a delight as The Eastwick Witches.




A little campy but still quite scary is the original Fright Night with Susan's former husband Chris Sarandon. He is perfect as the vampire, charismatic and frightening.




Now, Practical Magic I watch all the time, as I do The Witches of Eastwick. What can I say about this film. I love it. The clothes, the characters and of course the real star.... the house!




Got some little ghosts and witches in the house? One of the best animated movies for Halloween I have seen are Scary Godmother Halloween Spooktacular. One is better than two but they are beautifully filmed.




And now for the master of Halloween, Tim Burton. As for animation A Nightmare Before Christmas is perfection although may a little scary for small children.




Tim Burton grew up watching the Hammer Films. If you are not familiar with those they are horror films made in England that pretty much starred Christopher Lee in every one as Dracula. Tim was inspired by these gothic lovelies and you can tell in his films such as Sleepy Hollow ( in which Christopher Lee has a part as the judge). Dark, beautifully filmed and frightening.




It is not Halloween without Tim's Beetlejuice. Michael Keaton in his best role as far as I am concerned. What a feast for the eyes this film is.




You may have noticed I added some Halloween music to my blog. I Put A Spell On You, sung by Bette Midler, from Hocus Pocus is featured. Such a cute movie, love these witches.




I adore the original Addams Family television series, I own them on dvd. I did not think I would like a movie with a new cast but The Addams Family movie is fabulous. Angelica Huston is amazing as Morticia, almost as good as Caroline Jones. She wanted the film to look perfect so she insisted on using a cinematographer who had made films in the 1940's and lit her eyes just like in the old films, which give her a haunting look. I also could have seen Cher in this part but she turned it down because she had done The Witches of Eastwick and did not want to do another movie of that type.




Bram Stokers Dracula starring Gary Oldman is so beautifully filmed you can ignore some of the bad acting. I still love to watch it and besides Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman is my favourite Dracula. He has that wonderfully Gothic and he looks really cool.




If you have not seen Bell, Book and Candle you must. Kim Novak as Gillian, is a beautiful, sensual witch who captivates Jimmy Stewart. Jack Lemmon is a delight as her brother and the star for me is Pywacket her familiar cat.




So do watch one of these this Halloween you will enjoy them. As you can see I am not into the slasher films they just aren't Halloween to me, I would rather be pleasantly frightened the old fashioned way.

10 comments:

  1. Several of the movies you have posted is a tradition at our house to watch come October. Kids love Halloweentown movies too. I got your giveaway yesterday that I won. I love it and so does the family. Just beautiful. Thanks for having the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of Bell, Book, and Candle. And, of course, the house of Practical Magic - the witches are wonderful in both these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the pumpkin shelf sitter! It arrived today!

    Great list of movies. I have been meaning to check out Hocus Pocus. Never seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my kind of gal....I also love watching Halloween movies and have seen every one of the ones you've shown here...some a dozen times!! lol I watch them all...horror, animated, comedy, old, new, etc. I actually remember the first time I watched "Bell, Book and Candle" on tv when I was quite young:-) The other night I was watching "Night of the Living Dead" and it's a good thing it didn't bring on nightmares! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great movie tips! I haven't watched Beetlejuice in a long while, it's definitely time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of these movies and always look forward to this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I just can't seem to wrap my head around Chris Sarandon as anyone but Humperdinck. ;)

    I just saw "Bell, Book and Candle" a few months ago for the first time and loved it!

    And yes, almost anything Tim Burton is perfect for Halloween! Great suggestions! Also, the John Cusack version of "The Raven" just came out on DVD... You might give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have exceptionally good taste my friend...Each of these are favorites of mine as well. I have to say that "Sleepy Hollow" ranks very high on the list...as does Hocus Pocus. I cannot count how many times I had to replace that movie because my son wore the tapes out. Finally I got smart invested in multiple copies. Just my luck, everything went to DVD right afterwards! Hope I have time to squeeze a few movie nights in yet before the big day....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post!
    My mum loves the film Practical Magic, she watches it all the time!
    When I was little I loved the Witches of Eastwick!
    And of course Beetlejuice is a fave, I loved Lydia!
    Gary Oldman is beautiful in Dracula, totally make you ignore 'DUDE, those vampire chick wanna bite me' Keanu! haha
    You've inspired me to re watch some of these

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, Have you seen The Witches? Based on the Roald Dahl book?
    Me and my sister were OBSESSED with it when we were little.
    If not, check it out. I know you'll love it
    xx

    ReplyDelete